Friday, August 28, 2009

Bye Bye Binky


This week has been tough for my little princess. She has had her binky since day one in the hospital and this was the week that we had to say goodbye! She's 32 months old and it was time. Many of you know the struggle that we had with Ally as an infant. She didn't sleep well at all (not through the night until 15 months!!!), so I wasn't about to take away her binky at 2 like I did with Ryan. I have jokingly said that she can have in in college for all I care as long as the girl SLEEPS! Well, she has been really, really attached to her binky lately and she wants it all the time, not just at night in bed. So Monday we made the decision to take it away. What's one more major life change this week??? What was I thinking??? She was really excited to gather up all her binkies and she gave each one a final suck before saying goodbye. We all thought it would be OK, she didn't even seem upset. We. were. wrong! As parents, it is a terrible thing listening to your baby cry and scream when you know that you have the power to make it better. The first night was AWFUL! She cried, and cried and cried and woke up several times during the night shrieking like she was in pain, but we were strong and we made it through day 1. Day two was about the same. She asked for binky all day and blamed me for taking them away to be washed (which is not at all what we told her, but she got that in her head and wouldn't let it go- feeling like mother of the year at this point). There have been more melt downs than I can count this week and no naps, she's been far too upset, which makes for a LONG day. Until... today. I feel like Angels should start singing right now because of the way I feel. She has slept all night the last two nights and right now as I type, she is in her bed taking a nap!! Can I get an AMEN!!!! She did it, she calmed herself down after an awful fit about Sponge Bob (hilarious since we don't even watch it) and managed to go to sleep. She still has her pink silky for comfort and I mean it when I say she can get married and still have it, I'm never taking it away-ever. I am sitting here reflecting on this week and thanking the Lord for his goodness. My babies are growing up. I know that getting rid of binky is not major, but for us this is a victory worth celebrating. So kudos to you Ally girl, I am so proud of you for making it through this week. What a big girl you are-sniff, sniff. Have a Happy nap.

13 comments:

The Junods said...

That sounds awful for everyone. I haven't had that struggle and I don't take it for granted. You're a super woman too. There's no right or wrong way to do the paci but sounds like you're doing the best thing you can for Ally. Hang in there. What is about sleeping through the night...thank the good Lord we forget about those terrible nights.

MLP said...

Dear Friend! YOU deserve a treat this weekend...a pedicure or something!!! So thankful week #1 is over. The worst is done! Bless little Ally's heart...but you know you were doing the right thing. Ya'll celebrate this weekend. You all deserve it!

Katy said...

Way to go Ang for sticking it out! So hard now, but so worth it in the long run.
And I agree! Don't ever make her give up her blankie. I mean SOME people still have theirs when they're waaaay too old to still have one... :)
p.s. I'm glad to be reminded that I'll forget about these sleepless nights...hehe

shannonmichaelis said...

I can't imagine listening to the screaming! But as your dental friend, your dentist will be happy she is no longer on it, as will your ortho bill (I think Caryn really liked Dr. MrGregor). Sounds tough but glad you are on the homestretch!

Jill said...

That is HUGE!!! From one mom of a high maintenance child to another, "You rock!" Yea for Ally too!

Keep Your Eyes on the Stars said...

So proud of you and Ally!! It was so much harder on me then I ever expected!!!! Good girl! And just for the record...I did have my "lambie" until I was married!!! Joseph forbid it to ever enter our house!! It rests peacefully at Grams now!!! :)

Shannon said...

I am with you 100% letting her have that binky until the bitter end. If Payton needs it until 32 months...you better believe I am going to be giving it to her! I am so proud of you for sticking it out and not giving in. I KNOW how hard it is to give it up and I also know that it does get better. Landon is a 1st grader and no longer has his! :-) He was about Ally's age when we got rid of his and R was a little younger just because she was easier and not as attached. I am afraid P my take hers until she is in High School. She is almost 7 months and still doesn't sleep through the night....so I guess she is on the Ally track! If she turns out as precious as Ally, I will be just fine with that! Love you girl!

Libbie said...

I know it was a tough week. I remember when we took D's from her. Way to hang in there and be a great mom to Ally. Ally what a big girl you are becoming! Way to go!!

Sally said...

sooo proud of you girl!! it's hard on mommy too, i know!! what a HUGE thing to get outta the way!! :)

Caryn said...

Way to go Ally!!! Sorry it was so hard :( I hate that for everyone in your house, but sounds like you've turned the corner to a binky free life. Congrats!

Unknown said...

Here I am eavesdropping and commenting b/c it made me almost cry, just imagining when it comes my turn to do this! I am proud of you, you perservered and you made it. Job well done and you definitely deserve to treat yourself as far as I'm concerned.

Sherrie said...

What an emotionally draining week for you! It is hard to stick it out but you did and I agree that you deserve a treat! Way to go Ally!!

Sherrie said...

What an emotionally draining week for you! It is hard to stick it out but you did and I agree that you deserve a treat! Way to go Ally!!