Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's Official...

...We have a KINDERGARTNER living in our house! Oh I cannot believe this day is really here. Since Ryan was born I knew this day would officially come but seeing it on the doorstep was shocking to this momma. Mark and I were praying over Ryan last night as he slept, and I was flooded with emotion. I was watching him sleep and I kept trying to imagine how the day would go for him. Would he be shy, intimidated, and scared? Would he make a new friend and eat his lunch and remember not to burp? Would he wake up excited and ready to go? My mind wouldn't let me sleep last night as I imagined each scenario. I finally came to realize that God is in control of this day just like every other day and that worrying does no good. As a type A, control freak it takes me awhile to relearn this lesson.

Ryan got a new Star Wars alarm clock that he has been really excited about using, so we set it for 7:20 and waited to see how the morning would play out. At 7:22 Ryan was up and playing with his LEGO and deciding what he wanted for breakfast. After much debate he chose cinnamon rolls and then he was dressed and we were all ready for pictures (as ready as Ryan ever is for pictures. He did not become a compliant, smiling kid overnight. Oh well. Maybe 1st grade).

Here's our little man with Dad.

And Ally

And walking in school. I studied this picture and compared it to my previous post and a couple of things really stand out. #1 He's HUGE!! #2 The Star Wars backpack that was way too expensive was a big hit-he loves it #3 He seems a little unsure. He's letting Dad walk in first and hanging back taking it all in.

Once we were inside he took his annual picture with Honey. His head now reaches the raccoon. WOW!

And here's one with his amazing teacher Mrs. Sims.

And then we left. We left our sweet baby there for 7 hours. There were no tears and he marched in his classroom and began putting his stuff away like a pro. He seemed ready, he was quiet but confident. I was trying to soak it all in but I felt chaotic, sad and stunned that it went so smoothly. Now what? That's when my sweet little comedian comes in very handy. She said, "I don't know about Kindergarten?", and I felt the exact same way. Thanks Ally for making me laugh today.

I made it all the way through breakfast with Mark before the tears were flowing. Not bad huh?! I will be praying all day for Ryan and Mrs. Sims and my mom that the first day goes great. Thanks for all your sweet encouraging words. It really helps (although 3:15 cannot get here soon enough)!

12 comments:

Shannon said...

Crying as I read this post! We go tonight to meet L's new 1st grade teacher and I am already a wreck! Reading this made me realize that Monday is not going to be any easier for me than last year. I was so hoping I would not be emotional or spend the day worrying and missing him like crazy. WRONG! The tears I just shed over Ryan starting K sort of comes as a shock. I love Ryan and all, but I guess I just didn't realize how fragile my emotions are at this point. Dern!

MLP said...

OH Angie...saying sweet prayers for Ryan AND you right now. I just know he is having a wonderful time in kindergarten. This will be such a fun year for him!!! I can totally relate. Seven hours is a long, long time, isn't it?!? Again, saying prayers for you guys!

I love the pictures of your handsome little man!

Katy said...

Such a sweet day! I am crying too, but I know this is just the beginning of many wonderful memories for y'all!

Caryn said...

I'm tearing up - if I am this sentimental with Ryan what am I going to do when it is Stacey. He was looking at this post with me and said, "I wish I could go to that school, maybe when I'm bigger I can go to Honey's school"...and that made me tear up too :( because well he can't go the Honey's school. But what a blessing that Ryan can!! Only 30 more minutes!!!!

Sally said...

way to go Ryan, what a big boy!!! :)

Blessings from the Reeds said...

I thought of you this morning and said a prayer! What a day:) I saw Honey this morning and asked how did Ryan do? She said he did super. Yeah! Praying that he will have a fabulous year at school. I have to say, I love his smile! ha. Such a sweet little grin.

Congrats on making it through today! whew....

Kacey said...

Sweet sweet sister! Your prayers and guidance have prepared Ryan for whatever comes his way at school! Thanks for watching Lila on such a crazy day. Hope she helped distract from the slowly ticking clock:)

shannonmichaelis said...

can't believe he's that old!!!! hang in there - can't imagine leaving my child for so long. especially since we ony went half days. such a long day for a sweet little boy.

Libbie said...

I pray that Ryan enjoyed his first day of Kindergarten. I pray that he is able to be himself in his class and continue to grow and develop his sweet personality.

Edison said...

I'm now crying thinking about Mase going to Kindergarten...seeing as how it was yesterday I came to Waco for your baby shower for Ryan!

Wendi said...

Wednesday is our big day! I have been crying the past 2 weeks every time I think of school! Hopefully Preston's first day will be as successful as Ryan's!

Sherrie said...

I hope our day Wed. goes as smoothly! It's such a big change!