Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Can this really be happening?

Can my baby be starting Kindergarten tomorrow??? I know that he's almost 6 years old and growing like a weed, but he's still my firstborn baby!!! I have turned into one of those sentimental parents that I made fun of as a Kindergarten teacher. You know the ones that give specific instructions, linger in the classroom and take 500 pictures of their non-smiling child. I am that parent. Best to embrace it. Since tomorrow's the big day I decided to browse through my pictures and see all of his first day pics-HUGE MISTAKE!! I ended up staring at my computer for hours sobbing.
Little 3 year old Ryan Mark Wood starting 2 day preschool with Mrs. Thompson and Mrs. Coker. He was SO excited to have his Thomas backpack, be a big boy, and go to school. This was also when I could dress him however I chose. Those days are long gone:-(.

The next year Ryan was in Mrs. Mitchell's three day 4 year old preschool class. His back pack of choice this year was plain blue. Ryan loves anything blue. His teachers would all call him Little Boy Blue. Oh, where has the time gone?!

This year Ryan was in Mrs. Dunlap's 5 day preschool. Backpack was Batman. This three hour class each morning was a really good transition for all of us.

Look how much bigger he is!

Dear Ryan,

As You enter Kindergarten, Dad and I want you to know how much we love you and how proud of you we are. We love watching you learn and how you are always taking it all in. We adore your sweet spirit and how you ask the most thought provoking questions. You have always challenged us and we know that God made you unique, beautiful, and intelligent, and we are so grateful that you are our child. We love that you are not afraid to go against the grain, and that quality is going to serve you well in the future. You have become so confident and grown up all the sudden that sometimes we forget that you are just 5 years old! We cannot wait to see the joys and blessings the Lord has in store for you this year, and we continue to pray that you remain respectful, kind, and focused on learning. Have a wonderful year little man. You will be awesome in Kindergarten!

Love,

Mom and Dad

11 comments:

elizabeth said...

Good luck! I am having similar emotions on the flip side. I can't believe my last baby is going to kindergarten! It is such a special year...my favorite grade in a lot of ways. Hope tomorrow goes well for you!

Katy said...

Oh my word! I am crying right along with you, sister! Those pics were priceless---and I just can't believe how much he has changed.
Wow. So maybe I should not be so broken up about my little darling starting preschool. It is just the beginning! :)

Shannon said...

Oh do I remember those exact emotions last year at this time! I have to be honest and say they are coming back as a 1st grade parent. You do make me want to look back at pictures after seeing sweet Baby Ryan!

MLP said...

Well, Angie, I guess I needed a good cry! That is such a sweet post and letter. I love all of the pictures and backpacks!!! Love Ryan's distinct personality (I can relate with some little somebody in my own house!). I will say prayers for you tomorrow and for Ryan. I know he will do AWESOME!!! I can totally relate to your emotions...I had them last year and unfortunately they are all back for first grade, too! Good luck, Ryan!!! You are so handsome!

Libbie said...

Ryan will do great in Kindergarten! He is such a smart little boy. I love the matching shirts with Mark.

Blessings from the Reeds said...

Tomorrow is such a big day! (grabbing my kleenex) Ryan is SUCH a handsome, smart, and sweet guy. I pray that tomorrow will be pure joy and excitement for him and I pray for you and Mark as Ryan moves on to this next stage in his life. It goes so fast! Sweet post to Ryan. He will always know how much his mom and dad love him! Praying for you guys tomorrow.

Caryn said...

Um, the pictures of Ryan and Mark walking away then and now (well last year) I mean my mind is blown at the transformation!!!! HOW did he get so big!!! Such a sweet post for you precious boy.

Ryan we are so proud of you and hope you have a FANTASTIC first day at kindergarten - I CAN NOT BELIEVE YOU ARE NOT A BABY ANYMORE!!!!

Keep Your Eyes on the Stars said...

Ang...such a sweet post!!! I only have a 1 year old, but cannot imagine that day. I will also be one of those parents that I also made fun of!!!

Melissa said...

Ok, really?? He is so grown up. I know it's so hard and great all wrapped up in one. I still feel that way and want it all to stop for awhile! Praying for you and sweet Ryan. You are a wonderful mommy, ang.

Sally said...

ahhh, i am grieving with you - when did our kiddos grow up sooo stinkin fast?? ahhh!! thinking of you mama!!! i'll be right there with ya before we know it. :)

Edison said...

ok - that first pic looks like Ally!!!