Tuesday, March 19, 2013

San Diego Day 2, exploring the Gaslamp District, and the USS Midway

Day 2 started off with a meeting and breakfast for Mark (which we exited quickly after this picture), and then a lot of rain.  We were all a bit tired from the time difference...Brady didn't get the memo and woke up about 5 each morning.  So after breakfast we all took a much needed nap while it rained.
After Mark was finished we headed across the street to this delicious Fish Bar...such good seafood on this trip.
 And then explored the streets by our hotel
 He still loved the stroller at this point.
 We walked about half a mile and found the Ghirardelli Chocolate shop...yummy yummy.
The kids had a hard time choosing but eventually decided on ice cream and a small piece of chocolate


After walking a bit Brady needed another nap so while the others rested I walked Ryan down to PetCo field, home of the SD Padres.  They were laying new grass and it was very cool to watch
After exploring it was time to get dressed and head to the USS Midway for Mark's award ceremony

I think this was my favorite thing on the trip.  It was SOOOO cool to see all the history and let my children see real WWII planes.  I also loved that they moved the dinner and awards ceremony inside because of the rain, and the dress to casual---score!
Ally and I had a ball looking at all the postcards in the gift shop

 And Ryan thought this video was perfect...not quite yet bud but still very cool
 look mom, fake candles!
 The dinner didn't start until 6:30 so poor Brady slept a lot in his stroller
 our fancy dinner
 and my sweet family
 we all thought this was a pretty cool effect on the plane
 pilot Ally
 and then Mark received his 14th presidents Club award.  Here he is with CEO Dan Danner and VP John Casella.  I'm so grateful my children got to experience this moment with their dad

 And then the unthinkable happened...for the first time in NFIB history they called for my kids to come up on stage and get their pic taken too...I was SO proud and honored.  It was a big deal!!
Pilot Ryan
 look out if these 2 ever actually fly a plane!
And then around 10:00 they had a fireworks show up on the main deck...it was freezing cold but such a cool experience. 

When we got back to the hotel we got another treat.  A blue dolphin crystal...to add to our NFIB collection.  Ally has them all proudly displayed on her dresser.

our hotel at night
(borrowed image)
A great day 2!! 

1 comment:

Caryn said...

Oh my goodness that is so cool that they called the kids up on stage, I got a tear in my eye. I am loving thee posts sorry i haven't really gotten to hear about your drip details yet!!

Also loved your birthday post if I didn't say so, so well said!!