Wednesday, December 9, 2009

December happenings

Don't you just LOVE December. This year has been so fun to decorate and celebrate the real meaning of Christmas with my family. Each night we have been participating in Advent which actually means coming. Our church put together an Advent activity book with scripture, prayer suggestions and an activity to do together as a family each night. We really enjoyed this special time each night and this has helped us keep the focus on the birth Jesus and off ourselves. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Here is the book of Advent (email me if you're interested in a copy:-)

I must admit that at first I was a little hesitant of doing a family craft or activity each night, but it is VERY easy to modify if you need to. This night we were going outside to enjoy the night sky. Ryan and Ally thought it was AWESOME to go outside in our PJ's and coats:-).

I also love all the Christmas lights this time of year. Here are our three trees. The kids have been making a lot of homemade ornaments and I love how excited they are to show me each and every one!

Another cool thing in Waco this year was the 30 minute snow fall. Ally watched from inside. She really doesn't like to be cold (another fabulous trait she inherited from me). Ryan got to play outside in the snow at school. I am so thankful for his amazing school and teachers!

The snow didn't last long but it sure was pretty.


We also have been lighting a lot of fires and snuggling up each night to stay warm.


So sweet!

I hope you remember the reason we celebrate Christmas is to honor the birth of Christ and the fulfillment of prophesy. This daily reminder has taken a lot of the crazy December pressure off of me this year.

I also hope you stay warm and peaceful this December!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

So great! Where can I get a book like that? Ally and I could definitely hang out. I'm freezing alllll the time. Ask her if she'd go live in Hawaii with me.

Shannon said...

I want one! Will you grab me one the next time you are at church? I can also get my parents to get me one and I will get it from them later!

MLP said...

DITTO DITTO DITTO on the book. I grabbed one for us the first day and for Mrs. Janice. She loves it, too, and has used a lot of the ideas. It is the PERFECT little book. I love our church!!!

Sweet, sweet things happening at the Wood's. I loved this post. Ya'll are such a precious, sincere family. I love the picture of Ally looking out the window at the snow. Such a sweet little silouette! Love the trees, too!

Blessings from the Reeds said...

That book is awesome! I have to be honest and say I am trying to get the 3L's off of Santa and me,me,me and more about "The Reason fof the Season"
This looks great!

Your pictures are adorable. Makes me want to curl up by the fire right now like Ally and Ryan. You have such a beautiful family!

Kimberly said...

I do want a copy of the book! I have one from our church last year, but it's still a bit over Creighton's head! So, I made our own daily advent calendar of activities to do together, but I'd love more ideas.

shannonmichaelis said...

we've been doing something similar to this book. i have been the same way this season - no rushing around. love the three trees!