Monday, August 11, 2008

The Dresser

Last night five girlfriends and I celebrated a friend's birthday at Chuy's (yum:). We ate and then we all decided to take a quick trip to IKEA. That's where this little story begins. I really love IKEA, I could seriously spend all day in there just looking. So last night at 8:45 I found the perfect dresser. I have been looking for some sort of storage unit for our "playroom" for a while now so I was thrilled. I called home and Mark said go for it, so the girls and I found the self serve furniture...the right aisle, bin # and cart all in about 10 minutes. They closed at 9:00 so I had a lot of help just to actually make it up to the counter in time to purchase this little jewel. We then proceeded to load up (2)180 lb. boxes into a minivan (which was a tiny miracle in itself since we were all riding in the same car) and eventually headed home. (We stopped off for dessert first but that will be a another post!!!) We got home, unloaded the beast and I went to bed. This morning around 9:00 I thought that I would at least unpack the boxes so when Mark got home it would all be organized. My sweet husband came around the corner and said," what in the world have you gotten yourself into?!?!" with a look of slight horror and annoyance:). I told him it would be no big deal to unpack the boxes with the kids around, to which he just laughed and said ,"good luck." I started to unpack and quickly realized there was no coming back. There would be absolutely no way just to unpack this dresser and simply leave it. There were literally parts EVERYWHERE in my house! So I thought, I mean really how hard can this be? It has very specific instructions and I enjoy a good puzzle now and then. Well let me tell you it was just ridiculous. I got everything organized and there were like 2000 screws, nails, wood dowels, brackets, wood and lots of other important items needed to make this dresser sturdy . Luckily Mark sensed my agony and stuck around and we both assembled it until about 3:00, six hours later....With only a couple of arguments:) Anyway, here are some pics of my little helpers and the finished product, which I LOVE!!! It was well worth a day spent to have such a cute dresser full of toys. So to Jen, Leigh, Heather, Kristiana, and Lauren, THANK YOU!!! My playroom is now so organized is should be in a magazine...



4 comments:

Keep Your Eyes on the Stars said...

What a venture!! It sounds like yall had a great time!! And I LOVE the dresser!!!! Great playroom.

Caryn said...

Love it. I love the pics of your worker bees.

MLP said...

So cute...I've never been to Ikea (crazy I know!). Seeing that adorable dresser makes me want to go SOON!!!

shannonmichaelis said...

I have been eyeing that one and the black one as well at Ikea - such a great buy for such a great piece! Were you guys in Houston? Just didn't think there were too many places with Ikea & Chuys in the same vacinity.